Sunday, December 5, 2010

Blog Assignment #4: Blog 4 Resource


Image from: Farnoosh


Psychologist Ronit Lami believes that people who are wealthy suffers from a psychological problem .  People who run their own businesses are workaholics which often leads to unhappiness. According to the following article on Treat the Rich, 37% out of 400 of the richest Americans are unhappy.  Self made millionaires are usually harder to work with and are often stingy about their use of money as well. 

This article points out that money does not bring happiness and that even the richest people of America are unhappy. From my own experience, my family used to own a small buisness a few years ago, and from what I remembered, they were never happy and had always gotten into fights.  Although the buisness did not make us rich or anything, it made their income higher than what they would normally have.  With their buisness, I remember that they were never home much, and we would hardly spend time together as a family.  So even though my parents were able to buy a house from the money that they made, they hardly had time to enjoy being at home.  After a few years, my parents sold their buisness, and are able to spend more time at home.  The relasionship between them also got better, and fought less.  

I don't necessarily agree completely that money cannot bring happiness, but I think it depends on how you use it.  Money can come and go, you can make money anytime you like.  I believe as long as the money is used for a good cause then it can mean something good.  For an example most environmentally friendly appliances costs more money, so they are usually more available to people of middle class and up.  But I do believe that people who spend their time thinking about what is cheaper, and comparing prices just to save a couple of dollars will be unhappy because they are worried about how much money they have lost rather than what their money goes into.

No comments:

Post a Comment