Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Blog Assignment #1: Activity Reflection

Discourage Urban Sprawl: Reflection

Image from: Google Pictures


For 3 years I have lived in the growing neighborhood of Richmond West.  My family and I moved into the house when it was still in development.  My memories from living there were often frustration towards the transit system in the neighborhood.  There was and still are only one bus that would take you in and out of the neighborhood.  This one bus that would make it's round through the neighborhood only comes once every 30 minutes.  If I missed a bus or did not want to waste 30 minutes to wait for another one, I would need to walk approximately 15 minutes on the road (not sidewalks because there were none).  Everyone of the houses there had a drive way upfront so that meant every household owns at least one car.  Everyone in the neighborhood had to depend on their cars when they need to get to a grocery store, video store, etc.

Now, I live in a much more convenient location for school, grocery shopping, or other miscellaneous activities.  I am surrounded by buses that can take me downtown or to the university; most of which comes every 10-15 minutes.  During my high school years, I would be able to walk to school, rain or shine in 10 minutes.  Grocery stores, coffee shops, restaurant, and convenience stores were only minutes away by walking.  The bus stop to the university is near, so I do not need to depend on any vehicles other then the bus.  Comparing to life now and before, I enjoy living in this location much more because everything I need is just a walk away.




No comments:

Post a Comment