Thursday, November 4, 2010

Blog Assignment #3: Blog Reflection #1

Q: Consider your food system, what do you like about it?  What do you dislike?

Image from: American Fest

My family cooks a lot of ethnic food so when we go grocery shopping, we would usually make a stop at a asian supermarket at least once a week.  We would buy things like noodles, fish, cooking sauce, and sometimes tofu.  Their products are mostly imported from China or Japan; with a few products form Korea or Thailand.  Nothing is local about these markets.  What I like about this is that they are easily accessible even in Winnipeg, but what I dislike about them is that they are usually frozen products and are not very healthy.   The costs of these products are sometimes more expensive than regular supermarkets, because they are imported. 

Our fruits, veges, and meats are usually brought from local supermarkets like superstore or safeway.  What I like about these markets are the wide selection of fruits and vegetables.  There isn't really anything I dislike about these supermarkets, although it would be good if they had more food that was locally made.

What I really like about my food is that sometimes my uncle would make homemade dumplings for us.  The dough of the dumpling is hand made, so when you cook it fresh the dumplings seems juicier and there's also more flavor to them.  After learning about all the pesticides and chemicals used in my food and how the meat that I eat was treated so poorly before makes me dislike the fact that I do not know where my food is coming from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment