Friday, November 5, 2010

Blog Assignment #3: Blog Reflection #2

Q: What role, if any, should zoos play in conservation/education?
Is it ethical to keep animals in zoos? -If so what size/type of animal or zoo?
Do you enjoy visiting zoos?

Image from: Minkler


I personally do not think it is ethical to keep animals in the zoo because their natural habitat is in the wild.  If we take them away from the wild, we are taking them away from their home, and the experiences that they would learn.  

For example, if a black bear has been held captive in a zoo since young, than the black bear will not know how to hunt for its own food.  The black bear will not be able to obtain all the natural instinct that a wild black bear would.  If the purpose of "displaying" animals in the zoo is to educate people on how animals in the wild live, than what would be the point if that animal does not know how to live in the wild.  

Although I do believe that zoos are a great place for children to be able to see an animal up close and learn more about them, I think the zoos should play their part and make the animal's display area to resemble their natural habitats more.  That way visitors can get a better visualization of how these animals would lead their life in the wild.

From what I recall, I did enjoy my last visit at the zoo, although I do not believe that zoos are morally correct; but I do think that they are a great place for people to interact with animals and to know more about them.  In a way I think zoos are a place where people can interact with nature.  Although I don't believe that animals should be taken from the wild and placed in a cage for our entertaiment, but I think as long as the animals in the zoos are well treated, well fed, and are happy in their environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment